• Make sure to read the forum rules before creating a new thread or commenting on someone else's thread. The forum rules can be read on this page.

Heroes!?

Olex

Stonefoot
Staff member
V2 Hero
Hi.
Those of you who have played on the server for the past week will probably have heard about hero characters.
Yes, after years of requests and ideas we have finally started experimenting. Before you start complaining about the hero concept, i want you to keep in mind that nothing has been decided on yet, and that we've only just begun testing and experimenting with them.
[rule]

So now: Why have i made this thread? This is not an announcement?
Me and a few others have started brainstorming around heroes for a few days now, and we want your help. In this thread i want YOU, YES YOU, to suggest everything you could think of (and want, ofcourse).

What heroes we should add?
What abilities they could have?
What maps they should be available on?
And more!

Good Heroes
Evil Heroes
Possible Heroes and Heroes for future maps

Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Gandalf
Théoden
Gamling
Faramir
Bard
Thorin Oakenshield
Dain Ironfoot

Azog
Bolg
Gothmog
RingWraith
Witch-King
Great Goblin
The Red Serpent (Harad General)

Ent
Balrog

The concept builds on that Heroes should be leading their team using broadcasts in chat. Similar to how Gandalf currently shouts lines from the movies on Minas Tirith. This means that whoever gets to be a hero would be able to tell their team to attack, retreat, pick more melee classes, etc etc. Heroes will have their own specific loadouts, many of them will sport abilities (With a couple of new ones, we can always hope).

Heroes will be OP, yes. We can't avoid that. We wan't heroes to feel special and have an impact on the game. We've planned to focus more on health than damage for most of the heroes, since I believe that will make them easier to gang up on but as hard to 1v1 (impossible). This will hopefully encourage a more agressive playstyle aswell, since squishy classes tend to play a lot more carefully.

We don't want to encourage camping heroes, so we would prefer to not have any of them focusing entirely on archery.

Everybody will have a chance to play as a hero, we don't want to limit it to staff or donators.

Heroes will only be enabled if there are enough players on, with a small playerbase the heroes would become extremely unbalanced. Not sure what the limit would be though.

If you have any other questions, make sure to ask. Now start suggesting!

Suggestions:
Bard:
-Has a special arrow with a 20-second cooldown. This does a ton of damage (oneshot or close to it) to anyone directly in it's way, and also explodes dealing significant damage (5-10 on a soldier) to surrounding enemies in a wide AoE. Otherwise functions as a tankier archer with a bit more damage and range (if possible).

Witch-King:
(Keep in mind I am talking about the pre-ring Witch-King of Angmar, if it is the Nazgul king some things should probably be changed)
-Has a fairly weak main weapon, however, it has life drain. Damage should be around that of a stone sword, but he can heal half a heart (or gains a bit of absorption) for each hit.
-Armour is decent, not the tankiest hero class.
-Can buff specific players for a limited time of about 30 seconds. This ability would have a 50 second cooldown and would give the affected player something along the lines of strength 2.

That's it for now, might add more ideas tomorrow.

I’d like to add one point to the whole Hero concept. Imo heroes should be reserved for major leaders of the battle and their abilities come with being a leader. For example, Aragorn should be the hero on Helms Deep because he led the elves in defending the deeping wall. Or theoden would work well. I personally think having gimli and legolas running around wouldn’t make as much sense since they are essentially just really OP soldiers.

Erebor: Dain ironfoot
Moria: Azog/Thorin (like the movies battle of azanulbizar)

Edoras: Theoden
Helms deep: Aragorn/Uruk Captain dude
Osgiliatg: Faramir
Minas Tirith: Gandalf/Witch king
Black Gate: King Aragorn
Minas Morgul: Faramir (he led the attack on minas morgul after war of the ring with his rangers)

You get the idea

Witch-King/Ringwraith: https://www.empirewar.org/forums/m/5312442/viewthread/32447018-ringwraith/post/136817406#p136817406

Thorin Oakenshield: Give him a good dmg sword and a shield of oak that gives absorption temporary (gotta charge)

Azog: Have his mace be able to be charged like normal maceman, but it doesnt just stun who it hits and instead would additionally cause a small explosion around the target, damaging people around him and knocking them upwards a bit. Can call his white warg (polar bear) to ride.

Dain Ironfoot: Have him a big hammer charged it throws people away with largeass knockback and extra dmg, can summon a boar (pig) to ride, reduced falldmg (IRONFOOT)

Great Goblin: Make it somewhat like Goblin Mercenary, high res, slow, high jump boost. Can have a shockwave ability where he jumps high into the air and when he lands everyone around is dmg and thrown away. Can summon goblin minions (mayhaps zombies with speed 1 that target only the enemy team, or people with such specific scoreboard team).

This is a bit of a add on to yennifers idea maybe the heroes could have a buff to all troops nearby maybe a dwarf hero had resistance buff and i was thinking the heroes could get some special items with cooldowns like on osgil if we had gothmog maybe he could have a horn summoning a nerfed nazgul for a matter of time ore maybe being able to set a precision trebutchet shot to fire. in laketown i have no idea for a hero but the hero could maybe have thick clothing making them more resistant to water and maybe a buff would be so about 2 ore 3 people could lift the bridge by the town hall. on helms deep why cant we have a hero with some kind of a large ladder item letting them climb walls. When the eye of sauron is added to a map we could make it be able to spot people giving them the glowing effect maybe this would be caused by a hero item i dont know. on erebor maybe there could be a hero which could crack the bridges around the map t.emporarly being able to slow down the attackers ore blocking in the defenders. And on a map like minas tirith maybe the hero could call in a waggon with resources these waggons contained upgraded items that friendlys can pick up. thanks for reading and i now see i probaly jumped off the subject

I’d like to add one point to the whole Hero concept. Imo heroes should be reserved for major leaders of the battle and their abilities come with being a leader. For example, Aragorn should be the hero on Helms Deep because he led the elves in defending the deeping wall. Or theoden would work well. I personally think having gimli and legolas running around wouldn’t make as much sense since they are essentially just really OP soldiers.

While I do agree with this, what would happen when this hero dies? I wouldn't be a fan of constantly respawning Aragorns, and for most maps only 1-2 fit as commander. Right now, you could at least have 3-5 different heroes per map, which means they could be playing more.

Keep in mind we DO plan to keep them restricted to certain maps. I wouldn't want to see Azog fighting at the battle of Helm's Deep. (This might be different right now though, since we've only coded some to test)

While I do agree with this, what would happen when this hero dies? I wouldn't be a fan of constantly respawning Aragorns, and for most maps only 1-2 fit as commander. Right now, you could at least have 3-5 different heroes per map, which means they could be playing more.
That is a good point actually. The first hero is the strongest/leader and when he dies then a different one would spawn that actually sounds good. Starting out with Aragorn, then legolas, then gimli.

Alternatively maybe you could change the chat message to "Aragorn has left the battle.." like how in Battlefront 2 (2005) when heroes die they don't literally die they just disappear and retreat.

But yeah your idea is also good on a map like Moria, I don't want to over complicate it but having the line of Durin as the heroes would be cool, and if you die then the next leader would be the hero. King Thror (Strong axeman) > Thain II (Strong hammerer) > Thorin (Strong swordsman). After that then your team would have run out of heroes which would also help in the balancing.

i got some hero concepts for them maps

Black Gate: Black Hand of Sauron
Erebor: Khamul ( second in command of nazgul)
Helms Deep and Edoras: Lurtz (First Uruk Hai by Saurman)
mybe when i return ill see them in action

I am strongly against limiting the number of heroes, as that heavily penalizes the team for something that is not their fault. It also adds a ton more RNG to the game, since if three 'bad' players roll hero and die almost immediately, the team will be at a big disadvantage.

Why ever would a Nazgul be at the battle of Erebor?
The battle of Erebor in the server is the one fought between Dwarves and Orcs/Easterlings during the war of the ring, not the battle of the five armies version.
In the official Tolkien lore Khamul is also the lord of the Easterlings. It would make sense if he led the easterlings in the attack on Erebor. It was not confirmed that he was there but it would make perfect sense.

In the movies/books though he fights at Minas Tirith & the black gate when he dies.

Suggestion for how Witch King should work:

Stun ability similar to gondor & mordor captains
Ball & chain that swings over head when charged
armor similar to mordor captain i guess but more witch king-y

This would be cool asthetically and would be accurate to movies. 99% sure this is possible, will try to get proof of concept out by Tuesday.

(Zoom should know more about this tbh)

Could be interesting to have Shelob in there somewhere, though don't think it would be very lore-accurate since she probs never left her basement.

Could be interesting to have Shelob in there somewhere, though don't think it would be very lore-accurate since she probs never left her basement.

I agree that some animal-based heroes would be cool, but [user avatar="https://cravatar.eu/helmavatar/sjoerdtim/74.png" name="sjoerdtim"]960266[/user] has been quite reluctant to add disguise based classes before unfortunately. Beorn & Shelob would be perfect.

[quote user_id="14797394" avatar="https://cravatar.eu/helmavatar/Slenderdragon13/74.png" name="Slenderdragon13"][quote user_id="6137746" avatar="https://cravatar.eu/helmavatar/m4rine_semperfi/74.png" name="m4rine_semperfi"]does anyone else pronounce EW as e-u in their head[/quote]
i thought i was the only one[/quote]

YES! ME TOO! My gawd, I thought I was the only one for the longest time, then [user avatar="https://cravatar.eu/helmavatar/Lord_GiacomoS/74.png" name="Lord_GiacomoS"]13146277[/user] said that he also did it. Weird. It is certainly a lot easier to say than ee-double-you.

Anyway, that's off-topic, sorry xD

https://www.empirewar.org/forums/page/1/m/5312442/viewthread/31719472-skinchanger

Got a cool idea. What if the MVPs of the last game can become a hero in the next game on the same team Good/Evil they were on the last game. That way being MVP is way cooler and heroes are much more exclusive. Only two per game.

Back