• Make sure to read the forum rules before creating a new thread or commenting on someone else's thread. The forum rules can be read on this page.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I do like the last jedi because few reasons
1. it adds more "new" in star wars whilst paying small tribute to old (force awakens did give us new too but had flaws last jedi didn't such as being too much a fan film/following an already explored to hell plotline of blowing up big round thingies)
2. suspense. many people go into empire knowing vader is luke's father. last jedi was a movie that had total suspense and answered unanswered questions for everyone because it is a new movie.

One thing I didn't like was the earth vernacular (Yoda calling force books page-turners, Finn calling security "cops", etc.)
Also, old star wars humor was making other characters laugh not the audience and that's another critique. its too full of marvel humor
a third and final critique is that new star wars tells 3 independent stories, where the OT and even prequels arguably told 1 story involving 3 characters

What I disliked about it was it didn't "feel" like star wars. It felt more like some kind of action movie. There wasn't that romanticism of the originals or prequels. Yeah, the prequels had their flaws but they had that feeling of Star Wars. Really hard to explain, and I've done badly.

tobberz I'm not entirely sure what you mean but i can try.. do you mean stuff like large scale battles? or like, the characters progressing together rather than apart?

tobberz I'm not entirely sure what you mean but i can try.. do you mean stuff like large scale battles? or like, the characters progressing together rather than apart?

Use of soundtrack, scenery, cinematography, dialogue, characters, events of movies, progression of plot. It is all pretty similar across the 6 Lucas movies, but the sequels are a completely different bag o worms.

[quote user_id="18949559" avatar="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.enjin.com/187965/site_logo/medium.png" name="lord ish"]tobberz I'm not entirely sure what you mean but i can try.. do you mean stuff like large scale battles? or like, the characters progressing together rather than apart?

Use of soundtrack, scenery, cinematography, dialogue, characters, events of movies, progression of plot. It is all pretty similar across the 6 Lucas movies, but the sequels are a completely different bag o worms.[/quote]

ah i see.. ok leme try and break it down
soundtrack has new but imo i love it
scenery i agree is limited but it was even more limited in the OT (had no more than 2 planets when TLJ had 3.. ok i think they all had 3 but ye). Cinematography was still good but no wipe transitions which is classic star wars :(
dialogue i already addressed, Disney fucked it. characters - rey is a mary sue who does too much, finn doesn't do enough and poe is ok. i just wish instead of having all weak males and all strong females they had a little more balance. events i do see what u mean, the fuel reserves didn't feel that much star-warsy but idk what else they could have used for a chase plot.

Yea, spending years taking apart ships to sell for food would never help her have an understanding of how ships work...

Also, I thought that it felt very much like Star Wars. Just looking at the stills I could tell that. But that is just my opinion.

Oh, ye and aren't the wipes more like classic prequels? Speaking of the prequels, the supposed lack of romance in the sequel trilogy is better in my opinion than having romance like the prequels.

Yea, spending years taking apart ships to sell for food would never help her have an understanding of how ships work...

Also, I thought that it felt very much like Star Wars. Just looking at the stills I could tell that. But that is just my opinion.

Oh, ye and aren't the wipes more like classic prequels? Speaking of the prequels, the supposed lack of romance in the sequel trilogy is better in my opinion than having romance like the prequels.

how is she magically fluent in the force? and is being a rocket engineer somehow supposed to make u a rocket pilot?
sure she can repair, but flying is a teeny bit of a stretch
after wielding a staff/club, how is she able to weild a lightsaber with such ease? its a completely different type of question and she fuckin whacked kylo silly. i understand that in the last jedi during their mind meld some was imprinted but in force awakens how the shit is she that good with no real force training and the wrong kind of combat training?
just my opinion, strong opinion. rey is a mary sue

Not going to lie. I have not anything discussed on this topic but I have one statement:

The Last Jedi was:

garbage-13082017073959-1000x0.jpg

I was disappointed when I saw the Last Jedi. It just was too different from The Force Awakens, there was too much going on and too many useless side stories (Canto Blight). The only things I really did enjoy were the unexpected bits. Yoda's ghost for me was really great because he's my favorite Star Wars character, and Luke really needed his help in that point of the movie. I also really enjoyed how Luce died, it was a good way to go. I feel like the end was rushed, and I really was looking forward to the battle on Crait. My biggest complaint though is how there are apparently around 15 or so resistance people left, and they are all main characters as it just so happens.

my problem with awakens was it was too much like the originals and i liked last jedi because it was a departure from old

but i understand. canto bright gets better when u rewatch it a few times, and i think DJ and the military industrial complex moral will have HUGE implications in 9 as ppl on canto bright funded the rebel fleet which is now destroyed, and must be rebuilt. so we'll see

I think the main killer of TLJ was unnecessary comic relief (Poe making a yo mamma joke, Praetorian guard blender, etc) and Rose. Bloody Rose. She has the cheesiest lines of dialogue "Now it's worth it" (as she releases the cow things which will obviously get recaptured within a day) "Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love" (as she totally ruined Finn's sacrifice and almost killed them both in the process). She is poorly written and her kiss with Finn felt forced. I hate Rose more than I do Jar Jar.

But overall I enjoyed the film.

i feel horrible for hating rose but yes she is not great executed in this film
I'm sure u don't like canto bright either.

i thought why would Disney spend hundreds of millionis on this film, but then have these glaring issues?
the answer is episode 9. it all builds to episode 9. the rebellion needs to rebuild and now they know that the same people that fund the first order fund the empire. and rose will have more character and role in 9 that should make her less cheesy. tbh lukes lines were cheesy in the OT but he is loved so
have faith and patience. yes its bad rn but i expect till get better

I loved the last jedi becuase its not a repeat of the same old style of star wars.
But We have to remember its disneys movie. So they can make whatever changes as they want.

Some characters do things too easily without much effort which im not proud of.

That doesn't mean the force awakens gets a "get out of jail free card" though. If it's a problem in the previous films, then it should be fixed in the sequels.

Back