• Make sure to read the forum rules before creating a new thread or commenting on someone else's thread. The forum rules can be read on this page.

The Art of Middle-Earth

Tobberz

Network Owner
Staff member
Network Owner
"Then Fingolfin beheld… the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband’s gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came."

Sometimes, we forget that the visual 'reality' of Middle-Earth extends so much further than the films. Indeed, I believe that the films can warp our view of Tolkien's Legendarium, and often alternative views (lifted more directly from the literature) can be refreshing.

The following art I have collected over the past few years, and I think it exemplifies why Tolkien's creation will always be more than Game of Thrones, or something alike. It is steadily achieving the state of a true Mythos, as it is elevated beyond literature to legend. Give it a few hundred years, and it will be told as King Arthur has been.

I have included excerpts from the relevant literature.

Let's commence! Unfortunately 'spoilers' take up a damn lot of room now.

Battles:
Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth.... Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away...; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands.

But at the last the King grew weary, and Morgoth bore down his shield upon him. Thrice he was crushed to his knees, and thrice arose again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm. But the earth was all... pitted about him, and he stumbled and fell backward before the feet of Morgoth; and Morgoth set his left foot upon his neck.... Yet with his last and desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil, and the blood gushed forth black and smoking and filled the pits of Grond.

Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old.

OoFUzX4.png

uN6lujt.png

K56KAHE.png

z4Jmhef.png

YDbkp4P.png

“The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white. His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. It raised the whip, and the thongs whined and cracked. Fire came from its nostrils. But Gandalf stood firm.

'You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.'

The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly onto the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall; but still Gandalf could be seen, glimmering in the gloom; he seemed small, and altogether alone: grey and bent, like a wizened tree before the onset of a storm.

From out of the shadow a red sword leaped flaming.

Glamdring glittered white in answer."

p8Cxqvy.png

XlPWW79.png

wsfJ4n6.png

253K1mu.png
Fall of Boromir
"From the Gate of the Kings the North Wind rides, and past the roaring falls,
And clear and cold about the tower its loud horn calls.
‘What news from the North, O mighty wind, do you bring to me today?
What news of Boromir the bold? For he is long away.’
‘Beneath Amon Hen I heard his cry. There many foes he fought,
His cloven shield, his broken sword, they to the water brought.
His head so proud, his face so fair, his limbs they laid to rest,
And Rauros, golden Rauros-falls, bore him upon its breast.
‘O Boromir! The Tower of Guard shall ever northward gaze,
To Rauros, golden Rauros-falls, until the end of days."

u4hk51D.png

Eowyn vs Witch-King of Angmar
"A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I!” "

QKfwTA9.png

fSIrM2X.png

Fëanor vs Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs
Couldn't find the literature on this, but this quote from the net will do:
"While Ecthelion, Glorfindel, and Gandalf all bit the dust fighting individual Balrogs, Fëanor died in battle with a platoon of them. Not only that, his spirit was so fierce it incinerated his body as it left him."
iGM25IC.png

Gandalf vs Witch-King of Angmar
"The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.
“Old fool!” he said. “Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!” And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade."

5joFs5R.png

The Fall of Theoden
"Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like and image of the sun..."
5eACkN7.png

Melkor vs Ungoliant
ArcLmAm.png
"And now the fighting waxed furious on the fields of the Pelennor; and the din of arms rose upon high, with the crying of men and the neighing of horses. Horns were blown and trumpets were braying, and themûmakil were bellowing as they were goaded to war. Under the south walls of the City the footmen of Gondor now drove against the legions of Morgul that were still gathered there in strength."
L2wMyLT.png

WNfnF5W.png

Shelob & Frodo:
Or Ungoliant vs ?
soqX4cV.png
Siege of Helm's Deep
ypicSXZ.png

The Battle of the Five Armies
JyZXAlw.png

Angband (Perhaps?)
rPhNeB0.png

Something cool and Dwarven
LdJvjTW.png

Cool Battle
6tRYpGJ.png

Abstract Character Battle
PSs6irT.png

The Fall of Nargothrond
1tDnqGT.png

Characters:
Thranduil
"In a great hall with pillars hewn out of the living stone sat the Elvenking on a chair of carven wood. On his head was a crown of berries and red leaves, for the autumn was come again. In the spring he wore a crown of woodland flowers. In his hand he held a carven staff of oak."
BZJVPRn.png

Thorin II Oakenshield
"Thorin son of Thrain son of Thror King under the Mountain!' said the dwarf in a loud voice, and he looked it, in spite of his torn clothes and draggled hood. The gold gleamed on his neck and waist; his eyes were dark and deep."
qIQBK6w.png

Turin Turambar
"His speech and bearing were that of the ancient kingdom of Doriath, and even among the Elves he might be taken for one from the great houses of the Noldor; therefore many called him Adanedhel, the Elf-Man."
V6DAVlx.png

Gandalf and Grima Wormtongue
uzwPF4H.png

Eowyn (the healing)
"Then, whether Aragorn had indeed some forgotten power of Westernesse, or whether it was but his words of the Lady Éowyn that wrought on them, as the sweet influence of the herb stole about the chamber it seemed to those who stood by that a keen wind blew through the window, and it bore no scent, but was an air wholly fresh and clean and young, as if it had not before been breathed by any living thing and came new-made from snowy mountains high beneath a dome of stars, or from shores of silver far away washed by seas of foam."
d4Pafuc.png

The Istari
MmdF5iq.png

The Witch-King of Angmar
lPOc0I5.png

Locations:
nllZvo2.png

Fi31Ezl.png

80IRyIW.png
6FUdUos.png

VZucowq.png

The Argonath
dBaaIXY.png

Imladris
f0A1DgT.png

Gondolin
0R5SA0w.png

Esgaroth/Laketown
Ep41Igd.png

baQ6djU.png

Caras Galadhon
pXChNxM.png

Mithlond
CGWsrJ8.png

Balin's Tomb, Moria

Throne Room, Erebor
Lq59gSg.png

Assorted:
The Passing of the Elves
iJsSle7.png

Something from the Silmarillion
ebg30j7.png

The Hobbit?
QeuRRow.png

Journey through the Misty Mountains
yWQFqSE.png

Nirnaeth Arnoediad - The Battle of Unnumbered Tears
IKv7Zgl.png

I don't even know if anyone will read this! I just felt like making a thread like this :)

In Locations Minas Morgul/Ithil, you're 2nd and 3rd pictures are the same. In Locations: Unsorted Categories, you have the same picture for Mithlond and Balin's Tomb.

THe "Something cool and dwarves" under Assorted battles is BOTFA i believe, it´s Beorn.

In Locations Minas Morgul/Ithil, you're 2nd and 3rd pictures are the same. In Locations: Unsorted Categories, you have the same picture for Mithlond and Balin's Tomb.
Probably my copy-pasting skills, I'll sort that out.

I really love some of these. I feel that Peter Jackson's visuals were fairly accurate, but I like some of these even more, such as the Gandalf vs. Durin's Bane pictures. My favorite overall is Angband, though.

[quote user_id="10733867" avatar="https://cravatar.eu/helmavatar/Ajroets/74.png" name="Ajroets"]In Locations Minas Morgul/Ithil, you're 2nd and 3rd pictures are the same. In Locations: Unsorted Categories, you have the same picture for Mithlond and Balin's Tomb.
Probably my copy-pasting skills, I'll sort that out.[/quote]
Fixed!

"Gandalf and Grima Wormtongue" I'm pretty sure that's Saruman.
Pretty badass pictures of Witch King there. I approve.

Back