• Make sure to read the forum rules before creating a new thread or commenting on someone else's thread. The forum rules can be read on this page.

The Hobbit Movie Edit

m4rine_semperfi

V2 Veteran
Intro: People on the internet have recut and re-arranged The Hobbit movies to make all 3 into one long movie that follows the book more and is less silly.

I've seen countless fanedits of the 3 movies but none have quite been perfect. Either, they cut too much for the sake of 'pacing' and as a result elements ACTUALLY from the books are removed, or, they don't make use of the extended edition scenes which some include parts from the books.

Overall, I want to make the perfect cut of all 3 movies, making them strictly follow the books, even if this includes the sillyness at Bilbo's dinner at the start or the dwarves being dumb at beorn's, because fuck it, it happened in the book, it's still technically a kids book according to almost every site that assigns it a genre (whereas LOTR is not).

I'm making this thread to let you guys know incase anyone wants to see it when I'm done, or post suggestions. This forum is pretty dead so i expect no responses, I know a lot of people here like the lotr universe so that is another reason why im posting here.

I am proficient in video & audio editing, one of my past works is this: https://youtu.be/xdDGtwnwYu4 which I made in a day so it's actually not perfect, but this Hobbit edit will be seamless and professionally done.

General cuts:
-Change intro to fit the book
-Remove the Bombur barrel riding sequence..
-Remove sideplots/flashbacks unless necessary/mentioned in the book (removing the gandalf side quests for example)
-Remove tauriel as much as possible and legolas
-Remove azog as much as possible, still figuring out what im going to do with him
-Remove alfrid and other laketown retarded not in book stuff
-Remove Dwarves left behind in laketown
-remove dwarves vs smaug in erebor, only them running and bilbos encounter, still figuring this out
-remove random orc attacks, like the one in laketown and before rivendell

My biggest issue with cutting the three films together is the massive difference in quality and colouration. I'm not sure if there's any truth in this, but I'm fairly sure the colouring/post-processing of the second and third movies is wildly different from the first. I prefer the first.

Otherwise I generally agree with your cuts. I've watched two fan-edits, but the cuts between the two in the above mentioned area was always a bit jarring. IDK if anyone could fix that, though.

Yes, there is some difference. Although all 3 will be 1080p and exactly the same quality/aspect ratio. As for the colors color correction can be done to a minimum and in general the cutoff between the first and others if done correctly could make a smooth less cut, like if it went from day to night. Also, I found a near perfect edit of everything I listed so I will be using that as a base and i’ll post an update on what I did, so to be fair this project is sort of cancelled it’s just me going through the book and extended edition scenes double checking what I could add in or not.

Back