• Make sure to read the forum rules before creating a new thread or commenting on someone else's thread. The forum rules can be read on this page.

Wardens of Alturiel: Prologue

Mass_Explosive

So kind of bored when I'm writing this and needed to express some things to take my mind of some IRL problems. Might make more of these, don't know, just depends on how much time I have and or feel like putting into this. Please excuse any errors you find, but besides that hope you guys enjoy this!

The mist rolled through the forest at a lazy pace. It floated around trees and over bushes, concealing much within its shapeless body. It caressed the cheeks of a man whose cloak was drawn tight over his body to keep the moister off his clothes. The sound of crunching leaves was all that could be heard as the man walked along the path. He carried with him his yew bow, slung over his back along side a pack, and at his side sat his scabbard, containing a blade wrought of the highest quality steel and wood. His leather jerkin bore the emblem of the Wardens of Alturiel, and upon his cloak was a small pin made into the shape of a quill, signifying him as a Keeper of Knowledge.

His walk continued and nothing seemed out of place. The forest was quiet for the night, the young squirrels had been brought to home by their mothers, herds of deer lay together, settling in for the night, and a lone fox stole away to his hole, returning the day's kill to his family. The man eventually reached his destination, an old worn boulder, smoothed from years of erosion by wind and rain. Upon its face however were runes carved into it. The boulder lay in a clearing upon a small hill. Scanning the clearing before stepping forward, the Warden saw nothing unusual.

As he took the first step into the clearing he heard the slight rustling of bushes and turned to his left. He drew his bow and prepared an arrow to fire. He scanned the bushes and saw as a rather large wolf came forward, snarling and showing its teeth. Slowly circling the Warden it finally stood between him and the boulder. The mist continued to roll between them, giving each a shifting and oblong form. The wolf stood up and howled and charged towards the Warden with unreal speed. It pounced on top of his chest and pinned him to the ground. Then the sound of laughter penetrated the woods as what was a wolf and man was now two men who were wrestling each other in the middle of the clearing.

Finally the Warden gained the upper hand and pinned his combatant to the ground. "Alright, alright, you've got me, now let me up." Said the man on the ground, "I still don't know how you're able to beat me all the time." The Warden stood and extended a hand down to what was not a man, but an elf. The elf had steel grey hair that fell to his shoulders. His smooth pale skin shone in the light of the moon. He stood nearly a foot shorter than the Warden, but his body was much more filled out than the Warden. The Warden looked at the elf and spoke, "You really thought that trick would work, I thought I'd taught you better than that Armiel. There's a reason I'm in charge you know, and it's not just because I look better than you." Armiel gave the Warden a playful punch in the arm, "Sure, and your training is what got us away from those Gornoks back in Isletier." The Warden grinned, slight dimples forming along the slight scruff upon his face. Now with his hood down you could see a pair of deep blue eyes looking upon Armiel. His hair was a dark brown like the bark of a tree, and he stood just under seven feet, but his body appeared to have no muscle upon it, it was a wonder his clothes didn't fall off.. "That didn't count," called the Warden "I was carrying at least ten scrolls and dealing with irritable bowels that day. It wasn't my fault that someone had taken the scrolls before I told them too" Armiel just smiled and laughed at the Warden, "Yeah, sorry, but you should've taught me better" Armiel just chuckled a bit and the two walked together towards the strange boulder.

Armiel got closer to it and inspected the runes carved upon its face. "So, this is supposed to be the all powerful weapon the Commander wanted us to find, looks like nothing but a dumb rock, this is less interesting than History class, I mean I'm hardly there anyways." Riridan shook his head, "I thought you said you had stopped skipping your history lessons." "I haven't" exclaimed Armiel, "It's just been a little hard to keep awake when I'm being lectured about all these dead Kings and Heroes, I mean what does it matter that I know who the third son of the Duke of Castamin was?" Riridan seeming disappointed looked at him, "It doesn't matter, but the point is you have to discipline yourself now, who knows when you'll need some of that information, now let's get to the matter at hand. We're supposed to sketch these runes and head back. Now grab the parchment and charcoal out of my pack." Armiel walked around and grabbed a thin sheet of parchment, kept dry and clean inside a small tube, he then reached inside and found a piece of charcoal, so often used when writing in the field or to create sketches of engravings.

Armiel handed the materials to Riridan. Walking towards the boulder Riridan spoke "Look, learning is very important to your development as a person. I know you're not keen on joining our guild, but trust me when I say, knowledge is what has kept the Wardens alive this long, and it is..." Riridan's voiced trailed off as he saw in front of him the runes starting to glow. "Strange, but I better hurry, it won't make the Commander happy if we're out here too long." Placing the parchment upon the boulder he grabbed his charcoal. Kneeling down to have better balance, he touched the charcoal to the parchment. As quickly as he had touched the parchment with the charcoal, the runes began to glow a bright orange, then Riridan cried out in pain. "I can't get my hand off the boulder." Placing his other hand upon it to try and pull himself free he only became more stuck. "Help me!" Armiel took a step forward to help Riridan but suddenly the runes began to come off of the boulder and circle around Riridan. His screams filled the forest.

Armiel ran to try and help Riridan, but as soon as he came close the runes lashed out and struck him around the throat. They began to encircle his throat, slowly squeezing the life from him. Pain rippled his body and what felt like a million embers burned into his skin. The smell of burning flesh filled his nostrils as he struggled to breathe.

He watched on with horror as Riridan's body now seemed to melting right in front of him. He tried to reach out and help him, but the heat was too great, and his vision had begun to blur. As he fell over to the ground, the smells of brimstone and fire filling his lung for the last time, he saw Riridan's body snap back and forth in unreal angles. Then Riridan stood straight up, and turned to look at him, but his eyes looked at him not with the deep blue they had been, but a deep orange red, whose colors shifted and danced constantly as if they were made of fire. As he saw these they seemed to burn directly to his soul, and the last thing Armiel felt was a fire spread from his eyes to the back of his head, and then he fell dead to the ground, smoke rolling off his body into the cool air of the forest.

Back